Sleep is very important for humans to function properly. No one can deny the importance of completing 8 hours of sleep. A bed pillow might be a mere thing; how does it affect a goodnight's sleep? Well, if you think so, you are wrong, a pillow is of the utmost importance, apart from a bed mattress for a good night's sleep. Choosing a pillow can be a daunting task as there are a large variety of bed pillows available on the market.
Why Does the Pillow Even Matter?
If you are sleeping on a worn-out pillow by folding it up every night for comfortable sleep, then it's high time to shop for a pillow. Pillow's main role is to keep the head aligned with the backbone and neck during sleep. If your neck and shoulders do not get the required support or are propped at an angle that causes twisting and crunching. In that case, it will make your spine and body out of alignment, which further causes discomfort or strain in your shoulder, back, or entire body and sometimes cause sleeplessness.
When is the Time to Replace the Old Pillow with a New One?
As a general rule, a pillow needs to be replaced every 18 months. Natural pillows tend to last longer than synthetic ones. A quality bed pillow lasts longer than a regular one. But the alarming question is how to decide when to replace the pillow?
One of the best ways to find out the pillow's condition is by taking off the pillowcase and examining it. Signs like bad odour from the pillow and sweat stains tell us that it's time for the replacement. Over time, the pillow is filled with dead skin cells, dust mites, mould, fungus, and mildew, which can cause allergies and difficulty in breathing.
But if your pillow passed the smelling and sight test, it's time to do a fold test. Fold the pillow in half, and if it remains folded, it is a dead pillow. For your synthetic pillow test, fold it into half and place some weight on it and after some time, take the weight away. If the pillows do not spring back, then it's time for a replacement.
Today we will provide you with a guide on how to find the right kind of pillow for you. While doing pillow shopping, remember that not all pillows are for you. To find the best pillow, consider the following things.
How to Find the Right Kind of Bed Pillow?
Following are few things need to keep in mind:
- Pillow Fillings
There are a plethora of pillow fillings available in the market. Following are some popular choices:
- Memory Foam: It is one of the popular choices in recent times. It conforms to the individual shape. Based on body weight and body heat, it moulds to the line of shoulders, neck, and head; it evenly distributes weight across its surface. But the major issue is that it retains heat which causes discomfort and sweating.
- Cotton: It is a smart choice for people with allergies and chemical sensitivities. Cotton is naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites and mould. But it is somewhat flat and firm.
- Wool: Wool tends to be strongly firm. Wool is naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites and mould. It keeps your body warm in the winter and cools in the summer. The life of a wool pillow is long when compared to other fillings. One of the best types of wool is alpaca wool.
- Down or Feather: It is considered the most expensive material filling and is one of the most comfortable, lightweight, luxurious, and comfortable fillings.
- Polyester: It is a factory-made synthetic fibre. Polyester is lightweight, inexpensive, and easy to clean material but may lose shape in a very short period. Its tendency to hold heat makes it not so user-friendly option available in the market.
2. Fill Weight
The weight of the filling is a very personal choice. Various fillings are available in the market, from heavy to lightweight. Memory foam and latex are heavier, whereas down and synthetic are lightweight. If you wish to fold your pillow, then you can use lightweight.
For most people, standard pillow size is fine, but if you prefer an extra-large one, then it is also fine, provided you keep your sleep posture in alignment. The thinness and thickness of the pillow affect the overall sleeping experience. Too thick or too thin pillows also become an obstacle to your goodnight's sleep experience.
4. Sleeping Position and Support Level
Good sleep posture means aligning your body with good support. The support should be such that you don't wake with the complaint of aches and pains in different parts of the body. If you like to sleep on your stomach, you can choose the thin pillow. A side sleeper should invest in a firm pillow with an extra-wide gusset. But for back sleepers, consider using a thin pillow. What is your sleeping position?
Do you sleep hot? Some pillows offer breathable polyester or cooling gel with memory foam. If you like to keep your pillow cool, then consider using moisture-wicking fabrics. It will help to heat away.
We hope you have understood how to choose the right bed pillow for a peaceful and good night's sleep. At EazyOnline Shop, get the most comfortable bamboo memory foam pillow. It is made keeping in mind the user's comfort to help to achieve perfect sleep. Our pillows are made using the scientific approach and comfort of users in mind. What are you waiting for, come and buy the comfort pillow today? Meanwhile, we take care of your comfort; you take a power nap with our comfortable pillow.